Monday, 19 May 2014

Spring Morning



Where am I going? I don't quite know.
Down to the stream where the king cups grow-
Up to the hill where the pine trees blow-
Anywhere anywhere, I don't know.



Where am I going? The clouds sail by,
Little ones, baby ones, over the sky,
Where am I going? The shadows pass,
Little ones, baby ones, over the grass.



If you were a cloud and sailed up there,
You'd sail on water as blue as air,
And you'd see me here in the fields and say
"Doesn't the sky look green today?"



Where am I going? The high rooks call:
"It's awful fun to be born at all."
Where am I going? The ring-doves coo:
"We do have beautiful things to do."



If you were a bird and lived on high
You'd lean on the wind when the wind came by
You'd say to the wind when it took you away
"That's where I wanted to go today!"



Where am I going? I don't quite know.
What does it matter where people go?
Down to the wood where the bluebells grow-
Anywhere, anywhere, I don't know.



A. A. Milne.

32 comments:

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Beautiful. And one of my favourite poems. Milne's way of looking at the world never pales.

Biba said...

Beautiful and touching. Thank you :)

saffa said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely :) safxxx

dottycookie said...

Awwwwww, that's gorgeous.

Sue said...

A childhood idyll.

Pat's Patch said...

Just beautiful

The Coffee Lady said...

I don't see any naffing bluebells.

Primroses Attic said...

beautiful pictures and words. Just perfect.
Rosezeeta.

Jackie said...

And Emmas way of looking at the world never pales.

Alice Auperin said...

Lovely, just lovely x

CJ said...

Wonderful. And you have beautifully captured early summer in your photos. CJ xx

Handmade in Israel said...

Beautiful photos! Beautiful words! You have made me pine for the English countryside a little bit...

Julie said...

Beautiful photos of an idyllic landscape. Thank you for the poem too, I didn't know that one at all.

Clare said...

Aww so lovely thanks for sharing
Clare x

Celia Hart said...

Just perfect! I love that poem.

silverpebble said...

Thankyou to dear Coffee Lady x

Johanne Winwood said...

That's a lovely poem and the pictures really capture the mood too.

harmony and rosie said...

What a lovely set of photos, you make me feel very nostalgic. One thing I really miss about the UK right now is fields full of bluebells, wild garlic and pretty countryside weeds in abundance under dappled shade.

operatorku said...

nice

Jacquie said...

Awwwwww, just perfect Emma. I loved your photos and the poem. I smiled when I read it was A.A. Milne....I should have guessed.
Thank you for sharing.
Jacquie x

julie said...

Magical poem and magical places. So lovely to see your girls growing up with an openness to all the beauties of nature - you're giving them a life-long gift with such an appreciation x

Dawn said...

Beautiful - so touching, thank you for sharing x

Vestachowmein said...

I'm not sure why this is so moving, but Milne's gentle nostalgia always gets me.

Debs Dust Bunny said...

Charming.... timeless photos of your girls.

bils said...

*ahem* Pome and piccies in perfick harmony. Both are almost willfully timeless and defiantly happy.

Nice, very nice... and we like nice.

Streetcomber said...

Lovely, I follow you on Twitter and now I've found your blog too.
I'll be back!

silverpebble said...

Hello Streetcomber! *waves cow parsley*

Cottage Garden said...

So delightful Emma - words and pictures!

Jeanne
x

Cate said...

So beautiful, x

Gina said...

Beautiful words and pictures... although Coffee Lady did make me giggle rather!

Toffeeapple said...

Perfect images for the poem.

thehouseatnabend said...

Your photos fit the words perfectly - such a lovely story all together!